Divorce and Custody in a childs life

A divorce and custody always involves fundamental changes in a child's life. This places great demands on the child, but it also makes great demands on you as parents. What is the reason for divorce, should the child need to be your starting point?

About custody

Joint custody

As parents you have a responsibility, which is based on joint custody pursuant Parental Responsibility Act.

If you are not married, and you have not notified an agreement on joint custody or given a care and responsibility statement is automatic joint custody when paternity is established under certain conditions.

Decisions on Child

Joint custody of your child means that you have to agree on important decisions regarding your child. It is, for example, decisions about school choice, school clubs, moving abroad (but not moving inland), name choice, religious affiliation, and risky recreational activities.

Revision of custody / RESIDENCE

You can always even agree on changes in the custody of your child and / or the child's residence. It can for example be an agreement that I should have joint custody, if you do not have it already. It can also be an agreement that joint custody be lifted, and one of you must have sole custody, or I want to change the child's residence.


In cases where parents with joint custody disagree on the child's residence, the Court may determine where the child should live. This decision can be taken without the joint custody is raised.

The court may terminate joint custody, if compelling reasons for the sake of your child requires. Joint custody is maintained as a starting point to ensure that your child maintains contact with both of you, and that you as parents maintain the shared responsibility it is to care for and take responsibility for your child.

In each case affairs must state administration and the Court involve the child in order to ensure that you find the best solution.


If you do not have joint custody, the one of you who does not have custody, the right to obtain information about your child's circumstances from school, child care, social and health care, private hospitals, private doctors and dentists.

The spouse who does not have custody, are also entitled to receive information about and participate in the general social activities at your child's school or institution. It may be parents (not parents’ consultations) and festive events.


All parents must register change of residence to the other parent six weeks before the move. The duty to warn of movement is introduced because both have a responsibility to ensure that your child maintains contact with both of you. Warning obligation applies to both of you as parents.

It is to the custody / residence and access highly relevant to seek advice / assistance with a family lawyer.

About togetherness


A child has the right of access to the one of you, as the child does not live with.

You as parents have a responsibility for ensuring that the child has a close and regular contact with the of you that your child does not live with, and that visitation works well for your child.

If you cannot agree on fellowship extent, need not involve state administration, but you can ask the State Administration to take note of your agreement in a togetherness document.


If you cannot agree on visitation rights, the State Administration help you find a solution, including through a (multidisciplinary) fellowship meeting, child welfare counseling or mediation.


There is no age limit at which a child should be involved in a custody case, child's place.


If the resident parent refuses to produce the child for being together, visiting parent may ask the bailiff's court assistance to get the child to be returned


Who do not live with the child has the opportunity to set different contact interaction with your child. You may contact through phone calls, letters or e-mails.

If you cannot agree on this kind of contact, you can ask the State Administration or right to determine how such contact should be.


A child may in certain situations be established relationships with close relatives, as it is closely linked to.

These are:

If one parent is dead or both parents have died

If not - or only to a very limited extent - is the interaction with the parent the child does not live with.

The child's closest relatives can seek State Administration of access to the child.

Read also: How I Became a Single Mother and Blended Families.

Divorce and Custody in a childs life